I recently took an important client to dinner in Wireless Rd and wanted to impress so took my guest to Char Bangkok which is the signature restaurant of Hotel Indigo, part of the world’s largest chain of hotels, International Hotel Group.
They have a young, good looking, talented head chef from Hawaii of all places, Nikolas Ramirez that has bags of charisma and he and his F&B Director (Sommelier) Claudio Russo put together what they called a ‘tasting menu’.
It was a pure delight! All the dishes were beautifully presented and it seemed that we had a touch of everything.
- We started with blue fin tuna, leche de tigre and sweet potato paired with Macabeu, Xarel lo, Parellada Raventos I Blanc Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut, Penedes, Spain 2016.
- Then white asparagus, duck salad, porcini with a glass of Pinot Noir Salem Wine Co. Eloa Amity, Oregon, USA 2015.
- Butter fish, lamb sweetbreads, bouillabaisse followed with a glass of Pinot Blanc Johannes Zillinger Reflextion, Weinviertel, Austria 2016.
- Then Hamachi, leeks, chicken drippings (yes chicken drippings!) with a Sauvignon Blanc Domaine Goisot Corps de Garde, St. Bris, Burgundy, France 2016.
- Pickled white asparagus, blue cheese, caramelised white chocolate – cheese and chocolate! It went down splendidly with a refreshing glass of Chardonnay Robert Denogent Sardines, Macon, Burgundy, France 2016.
- On to the main course and I was starting to flag but New Zealand lamb, grilled lettuce, spring onion washed down with a quality red Syrah Jamsheed Harem La Syrah, Yarra Valley, Australia 2016.
- Then Chili con carne with yet another glass of Merlot, Cabernet franc Thunevin Bad Boy, Mauvais Garcon Rouge, Bordeaux, France 2015.
- Then to dessert as if we needed it… pistachio, raspberry, dulce de leche and by this time my guest and I had to skip the dessert wine suggested Pinot Noir Andre Clouet Grand Reserve, Blanc De Noirs, Reims, France NV.
- One final fling from the kitchen was pumpkin pie with Petit Manseng Chateau Jolys, Cuvee Jean, Jurancon, France 2015.
As business people or even just lucky expats we all attend too many lunches and dinners nowadays and deciding what to have for me is always a pleasant but time consuming chore. I just said to the chef ‘you decide’ and we were fed like visiting royalty!
Char Restaurant at Hotel Indigo
81 Wireless Road Lumpini, Pathumwan Bangkok 10330